Sunday, August 1, 2010

Gardner Reunion Twenty 10

     Where do I begin?  This is going to be a big post with everything that happened, and it still won't be enough to show everything that did happen.  This year all of the Gardner Family went to Aspen Grove Family Camp.  Most of us have been there as kids and even as adults, but as a large group we hadn't been there for many years. 
     The camp is a BYU run camp with all kinds of activities and events.  The kids each go to an age grouped class during the week allowing time for adults to do their thing.  I know what you are thinking.  How can it be a reunion when the kids are gone for hours each day.  Trust me, it can!  Travis and Trevor were in the class called the Stompers while Kendra was a Bobcat. 
     We start by checking in on a Saturday and stay all the way until Friday.  I often think of vacation as relaxing which this was, but it was also very busy with the different activities you could do.  When we got there, I went in to check in.  There I was standing in line minding my own business and I feel someone standing right behind me.  I even feel the toe of their shoe touching my heel.  In my mind I am thinking my little brother is seeing how long it takes me to notice him.  During that time, I scoot up a little to get away.  Bonk!  Sure enough, this guy has bumped into me again.  What was this guy thinking.  I kinda scoot up and take a look.  Who is that?  Not any family members, but with the quick glimpse I got, he sure looks familiar.  As I do that, the fellow in front of me says to the guy behind me, "I think I've seen you a few times on TV."  Now my mind is racing, who the heck is that?  Then he speaks!  I can't believe it, I know that voice, but from where.  In the meantime, I am coming to the front of the line where it is my turn.  I walk up to the counter, check in, and as I am leaving I get a good look.  Is it, no, it can't be, it is!  It was Elder Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was close to asking a prophet of the Lord to step back.  I am sure glad I stayed patient and just let it roll off my back.
     Wow!  Is this guy on vacation here?  It turns out he was with his family just as we were.  His family stayed on the same floor as my parents.  What a cool opportunity it was to stand that close to him and later get to meet him and shake his hand.  On Sunday he gave a great fireside for everyone staying there.  I guess there really is no vacation for a servant of the Lord.

These are views from the family cabin where we all stayed.

Nothing says family love like a little game of paintball.  Rob, Me, Rod, Tim, Scott, Ryan, Reid, and Kevin all played.  Good fun since I only got hit in the back and nowhere else.

There was a ropes course where you climbed a log, then a wall, and then walked across a wire around in some trees, and then repel down.  Katy and I  both did this.  Katy was a little scared, but it was a great experience.
Mark climbing and repelling down the course.
Just to give you a hint of perspective.
Here are a few pictures of the dining hall.  All the  meals are made for you with several choices at each meal.

Group hugs are always good!
     They had an afternoon on the field where families compete at different events for points.  We had 2 groups, the Gardners who were the little kids, and then the Gardner Bigs who were the big kids, ie. parents.  The Gardner Bigs took 3rd place overall.
They also had a game night on the field where you can go around to different activities for all ages. 

The swimming pool was a lot of fun.  Dad swam each morning during lap swim, and the kids got to go there with their class a couple of times each.

Kendra got to climb the rock wall and she did a great job.

Katy found the arts and crafts area towards the end of the week.  Next time we go, she will be down there all week.

One day the teachers keep the kids all day, even for lunch.  On that day, we went for a hike to some water falls.  After the hike we had a hot date at the cafeteria for lunch with no kids.  We were a little behind and didn't want a chance to each without kids so we ran part of the way back.
At the beginning of the week and also at the end, the kids put on a show for the adults.  The kids did great.
Here is Kendra with her two leaders Dallin, and Aurie.  She really loved them, they were awesome.
These are Travis and Trevor's Leaders for the week.  Travis really did have a good time even though you can't tell from the picture.
Finally our family on the last night after the closing camp fire.  I can't wait to take everyone back there again.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

What a fun family reunion! If I ever need to plan one it looks like the perfect place!

Anonymous said...

I love these blogs. What a great way to keep the memories alive & relive the fun. Thanks Mark! Mom

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time was had by all. Makin' those memories .... love it! grammy